Here you can find all the permit and application forms for building and development. Any development may require multiple permit types.
- How to Apply for a New Address: Please contact the Addressing Official to apply for a new or changed address in the unincorporated areas of the County. Does not apply within the towns of Telluride, Mountain Village, Norwood, Sawpit or Ophir.
- Building Permit: Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by the International Codes, or to cause any such work to be done is required to have a building permit. Please submit this permit to the Building Department.
- Development Permit Application (PDF): Any person engaging in any development within the unincorporated area of San Miguel County (unless the proposed development qualifies for an exemption) is required to have a development permit. Development Permits (other than those associated with buildings and signs), are not required in the Wright's Mesa Zone District. Development permits are not required in the West End Zone District. View the Zone District Map (PDF) to determine your zone. Submit the permit to the Planning Department.
- Driveway Access Permit (PDF): Any proposed access to a County Road requires an Driveway Access Permit. Submit the permit to the Road and Bridge Department.
- Land Use Application: A Land Use Permit is required for most types of development in San Miguel County. Before you apply for a Land Use Permit, contact the Planning Department for information you will need specific to your project. Staff will be happy to help you through the process, 970-728-3083.
- Medical Marijuana Local Licensing Application (PDF): to be submitted to the Planning Department.
- Retail Marijuana Local Licensing Application: to be submitted to the Planning Department.
- Septic Permit (PDF): Please see permit instructions for submittal.
- Short-Term Rental Application.
- Short-Term Rental Application Renewal.
- Road and Bridge permits: Permits are required for any disturbance to a County road or right-of-way not considered normal public use; including, but not limited to the following: utility excavation, private maintenance of a County Road, filming of commercials when road conditions are altered, or the operation of any hauling estimated to be in excess of 3,000,000 pounds within a 12-month period. Fillable permits are available on the Road and Bridge Permit page.
- State of Colorado Electrical Permit Application: Required by the State for all electrical work
- State of Colorado Plumbing Permit Application: Required by the State for all plumbing and gas piping
- Town of Norwood Development Permit (PDF): Development within the City Limits of Norwood