The San Miguel Basin Fair Board has been busy making plans for the 2018 SMB Fair. The board has listened to many suggestions from 4-H members, parents and community members. The board is providing a draft of the fair rules for comment. Please submit your comments to Austin Smith, Fair Board Secretary, by 12 p.m. on March 9. Please see below for an overview of the major changes and highlights.
- New categories have been added to the public dessert contest: professional division double and single crust categories and youth division quick bread.
- The horse show was moved from Saturday to Sunday and the dessert contest was moved from Sunday to Saturday.
- Breeding lamb and heifer shows have been moved to the morning on the day of the market shows.
- Added a public demonstration contest and open breeding livestock shows.
- The San Miguel Basin Fair Board will award a $500 scholarship to a graduating senior. Details of the application process are in the works.
- Female market animals shown in the market shows are not allowed to also show in the breeding shows.
- A “County Bred and Fed” contest for all species of market animals has been added to the fair schedule. Champion county bred and fed animals will earn the honor of selling third of species in the Junior Livestock Sale. Please see the attached eligibility entry form.
- Roaster and Fryer rabbits will compete together for the overall grand and reserve champion title.
- Any market animal may sell higher than the grand champion of the respective species.
- Horse show rules are under review.
Other Important Information:
- IMPORTANT: The initial rabbit weigh in has been changed to July 1, 2018 at 1 p.m.
- The rodeo will occur on the weekend of July 28th and 29th.
- The Norwood Christian Church Cowboy pancake breakfast and cowboy church service will be July 29th.
- The Fair Board has allocated some budget money to put toward clinics for 4-H youth. If you or your club has an idea for a clinic, please contact the Fair Board.
- The Fair Board has allocated some money to purchase project manuals and curriculum for 4-H leaders and members. Please contact the fair board for more information.
- Monthly fair board meetings will take place at 6:30 p.m. on the second Sunday of the month at the Glockson Building in Norwood.
- The fair board has two regular seats open and an alternate seat open.
Additional information and required forms can be found on the SMB Fair webpage.